What does special student mean?

There are many words that can be used to describe this program such as study abroad, visiting student, exchange student, and many other.  However, at MIT all of these student categories have a very specific meaning.  Special students are permitted to take take classes at MIT, and may not conduct research or work on campus.  You are not considered to be a visiting student or an exchange student, as these are different programs that are unrelated to the Undergraduate Special Student Program.

Who should apply to be an undergraduate special student?

The majority of our applicants are international and apply from all over the world.  Many applicants choose to apply in their second year of college.  A majority of applicant choose to apply for the Fall term, this is usually recommended as you can experience all that MIT has to offer right at the beginning of the academic year.

Do special students have access to the same resources as regular MIT students?

Special students enjoy most of the benefits that all student have which includes access to all of the academic facilities, student support services, recreational activities and student clubs.  Our staff is available to help you navigate through MIT’s many administrative processes.  However, it is important to remember that the special student program is extremely independent.  Special students receive minimal academic advising, so it is important to discuss your classes with advisers at your home university, to insure that MIT classes fulfill your degree requirements.

Who manages the Undergraduate Special Student Program?

Although the program is targeted toward undergraduate students it is managed in the Office of the Dean for Graduate Education (ODGE).  All correspondence will come from the ODGE and not from the main Admissions Office.